Come on out and rep your Irish roots at the 52nd Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in Ocean View, Norfolk! http://www.norfolkparade.com/
The IAS will be located in Section One, Position 30. This will be in the general vicinity of Northside Middle School at the corner of Granby St. & Westmont Ave. Parade Marshalls in green jackets will be there to assist you if you have questions. IT IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to get near Northside Middle School by car after 9 am, so if you want to park near the school plan to get there early.
There will also be running a shuttle bus from 7 am – 9:40 am between Ocean View Elementary School (Government & Mason Creek Road) at the end of the parade route back to the parade start area, so you can park at the end of the parade if you wish. THERE IS NO SHUTTLE BACK AFTER THE PARADE, SO PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
Our IRISH COTTAGE and PADDY WAGON floats should arrive in the line up between 8:30 and 8:45 am Saturday morning. PLEASE JOIN US THEN WITH WHATEVER YOU'VE GOT TO HELP DECORATE THEM: Irish banners, bunting, streamers, shamrocks, leprechauns, beads, etc. Parade step off is 10 am sharp.
PLEASE sign up in advance to carry one of our 32 Irish county flags in the parade. Debra Taylor-Kelly is in charge of distributing these flags before the parade and collecting them again at the end. I am updating a list (see the Files on this page) as people message me that they are interested in carrying one. They looked SPECTACULAR the last six years, and we want that to be the case again this year! LET'S GET ALL 32 IRISH COUNTY FLAGS FLYING!!!
Current 2019 IAS members with mobility issues and/or small children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews are welcome to ride on the IAS floats. We request that people capable of walking the entire parade route (about 1.5 miles) do so in order to save room on the floats for people who can't walk themselves or who have little kids who can't walk that far. MAKE SURE YOUR 2019 IAS DUES ARE PAID SO YOU CAN RIDE - we'll even take them the morning of! There ARE benefits to IAS membership, doncha know?! 🙂
• Along with our two awesome floats, we will have our 2019 IAS PRINCESSES, riding on a green Mustang convertible.
* IAS Princesses & other IAS honorees from previous years are welcome to wear their sashes in the parade as well.
• We will also have our IAS PADDY PACK of Irish-owned and Irish breed dogs marching with us. Members are encouraged to join the Paddy Pack with their dogs as long as the dogs are people-friendly and dog-friendly, are up-to-date on their vaccinations, and are on a non-retractable leash. We need 2 volunteers to carry our gorgeous IAS Paddy Pack banner!
A few rules from the parade organizers:
1. We are not allowed to throw items at/to spectators.
2. We are not allowed to have alcoholic beverages in the parade.
Violating these rules will get you/us ejected from the parade.
Make sure you jump on one of our two floats at the end of the parade right away if you want a ride back to Northside Middle School; otherwise, you will have to walk back. Some of us are planning to meet afterward at The Bold Mariner Brewing Company for the after party in their parking lot! And don't forget Glasgow Kiss is playing at Grace O'Malley's Irish Pub & Restaurant that evening!